My thanks to Learning Resources for providing the prizing for this giveaway and for sending me the Geometric Shapes Building Set so I would be able to share my thoughts and experiences with my readers! The opinions I have given are 100% my own.
It’s time for another Learning Resources review! Today I’m featuring from their newest educational products the Geometric Shapes Building Set! I so love educational toys and games, don’t you?
Upon opening your package, you’ll find a clear plastic tub full of connector sticks of different lengths (some straight and some curved) and two different types of cylindrical connectors. Specifically, the set includes 90 straight sticks, 32 curves, and 48 connectors.
How to Use It:
This is a versatile educational playset you can keep around your house that will be useful educationally as well as in free play! We’ve used it to build 2-D and 3-D shapes (including spherical shapes), buildings, and fences. The kids have also enjoyed creating their own masterpieces with the set, using their imaginations.
Pros and Cons:
I’ll start with pros.
– The set is self-contained and easy to store since it comes in the plastic tub with a lid.
– There are enough pieces that multiple kids can use the set at the same time. I can build a 3-D shape, then ask one of my children to create the same shape and there are plenty of sticks and connectors for this activity.
– The colors are bright and cheerful.
– You can build cylindrical and spherical shapes with the curved pieces!
– Free building is a blast for the kids with these:
– The pieces are durable and flexible, and are easily connected – my 3-year-old has no problem using them!
Now for the one con I can think of:
– There can be a minor frustration factor as far as durability of creations goes. Here and there a piece might fall out of the round connector and need to be re-inserted. I think my kids would enjoy this even more if for instance once they made the sphere they could toss it back and forth. However, this doesn’t affect the educational quality of the set – and as you can see in the photo above, there is playability with finished work. My kids loved making those “spinners” and only had to replace a spoke now and then. :)
Final Thoughts & Recommendations:
If you’re looking for something that will keep your kids entertained, encourage imaginative play, and be useful in teaching geometry to kids of all ages, you should definitely consider the Learning Resources Geometric Shapes Building Set! It continues to be played with and used to reinforce 2-D and 3-D shapes in our house. I recommend it!
Connect With Learning Resources!
For more hands-on math resources and posts, check out my Pinterest board!
Thanks to the awesome people at Learning Resources, one winner will be chosen to receive a Geometric Shapes Building Set! Open to the US only.